Recorded as Gamage, Gammidge, Cammidge, Cammiage, and the variant dialectals Gammey and Gammie, this famous name is English, but of Norman-French origins. It is locational and derives from the villages of Gamaches found in the Department of Eure, Normandy. It has been claimed that the earliest name holders were followers of the Conqueror in 1066 and this is probable, although the earliest recording is somewhat later. The name is recorded heraldically in France, both in Picardy and Berry, the main original coat of arms having the blazon of two golden lions passant on a black field, whilst the English coat of arms granted to Payne de Gammage in about the year 1450 has a silver field charged with five red lozenges in diagonal. The name oddly, is believed to be from the ancient Gaelic words "Cam-apia" meaning winding river". The name development includes Alicia Gamage of Oxford in the Hundred Rolls of 1279, and William Gamage of Yorkshire in 1583. Somewhat later in Victorian times we have the recordings of Martha Cammiage at the church of All Souls, Marylebone, and James Alexander Gammie at Sty John the Baptist, Notting Hill Gate, both city of London, on October 22nd 1871. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Godfrey de Gamages. This was dated 1158, in the Pipe Rolls of the county of Hereford during the reign of King Henry 11nd of England, 1216 - 1272. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
© Copyright: Name Origin Research 1980 - 2017