This unusual name is topographical and possibly locational. It derives from the Olde English 'Hlinc - wudu' which translates as 'The wood on the hillside' or from the Norfolk village of 'Lingwood'. This village name is first recorded in the Court of Fees list for 1199 in the early reign of King John (1199 - 1216), as 'Lingewood' although oddly in 1254 the spelling is Lingwude, almost a reversion to what should have been the 'Saxon' spelling. The surname development and recording includes the following example Mary Linggood who was the daughter of the first named below, christened at St. Dunstans, Stepney in 1701, whilst in 1810, Joseph William Linggood (parents unknown) was christened at Christchurch, Southwark on August 19th. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of John Linggood, which was dated 1690, married Rachell Godfrey at St. James, Dukes Place, London, during the reign of King William III of Orange and England, 1689 - 1702. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
© Copyright: Name Origin Research 1980 - 2017