FIND YOUR LAST NAME
Our database contains 49,352 last names from Smith to Smiley and Aaron to Zywicki. Where does yours come from and what does it mean?
The Internet Surname Database
Query our database to discover the results of our research into individual surnames. Each surname research typically contains :-
- The current surname and its immediate variant spellings,
- The country or countries of origin, with the approximate period of history from when the "word" might have first been used descriptively, before becoming a surname,
- The original meaning and translation of the surname, its descriptive group, i.e. locational, patronymic, occupational etc.
- Examples of interesting recordings which appear in pipe rolls, deeds, and wills, date back to early medieval times 11th or 12th century, and/or from the earliest church register recordings from the 15th century onwards,
- The earliest proven recording that we have been able to find of the surname, and the name and reign dates of the monarch on the appropriate throne at the time.
The Surname Database Newsletter
In addition to our database we also curate the most interesting Genealogy and Family History stories from around the web into our bi-weekly newsletter. If you are a Family History enthusiast then you will want to subscribe using the box below!