This very rare and interesting name is not apparently recorded in the United Kingdom before the 19th Century, and even more usually all the recordings for the first seventy years seem to be at the Old Church, St. Pancras, London. We believe the name to be a slight anglicization of the Huguenot or at least French, "de le Gall" an old Breton heraldic name which translates as "the Place of the Foreigner" or "Welsh". The name development incluces Henry Joseph, son of Henry Duligall christened at St. Pancras on September 23rd 1855.This being the first apparent recording in the double "ll" spelling. In 1863, William John Sindey, the brother of Henry Joseph was also christened at St. Pancras. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Charles Duligal. which was dated 1825 married Elizabeth Wright at St. Pancras, Old Church, London. during the reign of King George IV, "Prinny", 1820 - 1830. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
© Copyright: Name Origin Research 1980 - 2022