A Scottish locational name derived from the 'lands of Smytheton' (now called Smeaton) near Musselburgh, in Mid Lothian. The origin of the name is from Olde English pre 9th century and means 'The Farm (tun) of the Smith' (Smid). The name is forever associated with John Smeaton the builder of Eddystone Lighthouse (1756) and founder of the Smeatchian Club (1771). The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Henry de Smithetone which was dated 1296 County of Edinburgh during the reign of King Robert the Bruce 1225 - 1329. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
© Copyright: Name Origin Research 1980 - 2017