This unusual and interesting surname is of Old French origin, and was introduced into England after the Conquest of 1066. It is an occupational name for a maker or layer of tiles, deriving from the Old French "tuile" meaning tile. Job descriptive surnames originally denoted the actual occupation of the namebearer, and later became hereditary. The surname is found mainly in Scotland, and is recorded in forms ranging from Tullas, Tullus, and Tullois, to Tulliez, Tulles, Tullous, and Tillis. Early recordings include James Tullus, minister of Burntisland, who is mentioned in the Local Records of Dysart in 1598, and John Tullis, who was minister at Weyms, and appears in the Presbytery Book of Kirkcaldie in 1631. Church Records list the marriage of Patrike Tullus to Jonet Moutrey on September 25th 1681 in Edinburgh, and the christening of John, son of George and Elizabeth Tullis, on May 21st 1698 at St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster. One Robert Tullis introduced printing into Cupar-Fife in 1803. P. Tillis, aged 24 yrs., a famine emigrant, sailed from London aboard the "London" bound for New York on May 21st 1847. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Francis Tullois, which was dated 1555, was retoured heir of Michael Tulloiss of Hilcairny, during the reign of Mary Queen of Scots, 1542 - 1567. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
© Copyright: Name Origin Research 1980 - 2017