This is an Olde Sussex name, which is locational and derives from a place called 'The Vyne Hall', near Lewes. In ancient times 'vines' were grown throughout the south of England, and as far North as Leicester, but climatic changes in the Middle Ages seems to put a stop to commercial growing. Nethertheless a family called Vynehall, and later Vinall possessed the estate from the 14th Century and in 1657 obtained a Grant of Arms. This has the blazon of a black field, a gold chief charged with three black lions rampant. This Coat of Arms was granted during Oliver Cromwell's Protectorship 1649 - 1658, suggesting that the family were strong supporters of the Parliamentary cause. The name development has included George Vynoll, in the London Land registry of 1579, and Mary Vinall who married John Mierr, at St.Georges Chapel, Mayfair, in 1752. In 1780 Hannah Vinall married William Taylor, also St. Georges chapel. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Lucas de Vynehall, which was dated Circa 1375, in the land charters of the county of Sussex, during the reign of King Edward 111, known as 'The father of the Navy' 1327 - 1377. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
© Copyright: Name Origin Research 1980 - 2017